1868 - 1936
1937 - 1976
1977 - 1983
1984 - 1993
1994 - 1998
1999 - 2003
2004 - 2009
The Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China
The Headquarters for the oldest foreign bank in Shanghai, the 5 storey tall, granite clad building was completed in May 1923. The building employed a steel frame and rests on a reinforced raft. The entrance vestibule featured four Brecchia marble columns and the walls were lined with a rich, cream colored Pavonazzo marble on a black plinth.
With the exception of the woodwork, the whole of the wall, floor, coffered ceiling and sculpted Italian marble found on the ground floor was shipped from England.
The entire ground floor and the basement were occupied by the bank.
The building was renovated in 2004 and now plays host to a range of luxury retail outlets as well as restaurants.
Copyright © 2014 P&T Group. All rights reserved.